This recipe for cast iron baked chicken breast with roasted purple potatoes and cauliflower comes with no story. It’s just a simple meal, prepared with fresh ingredients, without much fuss.
It uses my favorite, most reliable recipe for cast iron chicken breasts. And it’s partially purple.
FAQs about this cast iron baked chicken breast recipe
No. Feel free to sub any potatoes or use potatoes and not cauliflower. Or vice versa.
Ooh, I love sheet pan chicken recipes. Yes, it should work, but you would want to buy chicken legs or bone-in chicken thighs to use, because chicken breasts would dry out in the oven in the time it would take to cook the potatoes and cauliflower.
Double the spice mixture, add some olive oil, and toss everything together (don’t parboil the vegetables). Lay it all out in a rimmed baking pan and cook in a 425°F oven for about 40 to 45 minutes until the chicken reaches that magical number (165°F) and the vegetables are fork-tender.
Personally, we went for a martini (working on a recipe, shhh) but a dry white wine (e.g. pinot grigio) would be classic.
Chicken with Roasted Purple Potatoes and Cauliflower
- ½ pound purple potatoes
- ½ cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or other neutral flavored oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and put a large pot of water on the stove top to boil.
- While the water is heating, cut the potatoes roughly into half inch chunks and the cauliflower roughly into 1 inch florets.½ pound purple potatoes, ½ cauliflower
- When the water is at a boil, add the vegetables and parboil for 5 minutes. Drain into a colander.
- Meanwhile, crush the fennel seeds, salt, and rest of the spices in a mortar and pestle or other heavy bowl. Rub lightly into both sides of the chicken breasts.2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon dried thyme, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil in a large (12 inch) cast iron pan or other oven-safe skillet and cook one side of the chicken breasts until a medium to deep brown.1 tablespoon vegetable or other neutral flavored oil
- Turn off the heat, flip over the breasts, and nestle the potatoes and cauliflower around the chicken. Put the pan into the oven and cook for about 15 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
If you make these roasted purple potatoes and cauliflower or just want to tell me how much you love purple food, please leave a comment and rating here.