Double Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
These double peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are a soft and chewy peanut butter cookie packed with chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. They’re quick and easy to make, and the cookie balls freeze perfectly for fresh-baked peanut butter cookies whenever you want them.
Of all the cookie recipes in the world, peanut butter cookies were never my favorite because most peanut butter cookie recipes are too dry and crunchy. It turns out that I just hadn’t met the right peanut butter cookie.
I’m 99.9% certain these double peanut butter chocolate chip cookies will become a cookie favorite for all the cookie monsters in your house. Just like they are in mine.
Adaptations of the Smitten Kitchen peanut butter cookies
This double peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe is an adaptation of these Smitten Kitchen peanut butter cookies. That recipe itself is from a cookbook from the Magnolia Bakery in NY.
My primary adaptation was to reduce the sugar in the recipe in a big way. My recipe:
- Decreases the granulated sugar from three-quarters to a true half cup.
- Decreases the packed half cup of brown sugar from 145 grams to 110 grams. Seriously. How does she pack so much brown sugar into a half cup?! (see FAQ below)
- Omits rolling the cookies in even more sugar.
Reducing the sugar increases peanut butter flavor, decreases the cookie spread, and increases the soft mouthfeel of this cookie. And, if you’re counting, fewer calories.
You don’t have to do anything. But I would really encourage you to weigh your ingredients for baking. If you look at the Smitten Kitchen peanut butter cookie recipe, it packs 145 grams into one half cup of brown sugar compared to my 110 grams – a difference of over 30%! What’s the right answer? King Arthur uses 107 grams for their half cup of packed brown sugar.
I use the Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips for these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies because they are the same size as the Reese’s peanut butter chips. But you can use any chip you like, or chop your chocolate if you prefer.
Yes. The beauty of drop cookies is that they freeze well, particularly before baking. I bake what we want. The rest go into the freezer on a cookie sheet for a few hours before transferring into a freezer bag. This way, you always have a melty warm cookie at the ready. Bake at the same temperature for a minute or two longer than normal.
Yes! I recently adapted this recipe to make almond flour peanut butter cookies. They spread a little bit more than the cookies made with wheat flour. But they are still soft and chewy.
Make another uglyducklingbakery cookie or brownie like these chocolate chip marshmallow cookie bars, salted caramel chip chocolate cookies, or chocolate rugelach.
Or, if you’re a chocolate and peanut butter lover like me, you’ll want to check out the house favorite for birthday cakes – the chocolate peanut butter cake or these chocolate peanut butter bonbons.
Double peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- Stand or hand mixer
- 1¼ cup (180 grams) bleached, all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter I use Jif for all baking with peanut butter
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick or 4 ounces or 113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (110 grams) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl.1¼ cup (180 grams) bleached, all purpose flour, ¾ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Using a mixer, cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugars together on medium speed for at least a couple of minutes until light and fluffy.1 cup creamy peanut butter, 8 tablespoons (1 stick or 4 ounces or 113 grams) unsalted butter, softened, ½ cup (110 grams) dark brown sugar, packed, ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- Add the egg and mix for one minute on low speed, and then add the milk and vanilla and mix again for one minute.1 egg, room temperature, 1 tablespoon whole milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add the peanut butter chips and chocolate chips and mix by hand.½ cup peanut butter chips, ½ cup chocolate chips
- Using a spoon or a medium cookie scoop (#40), scoop 2 tablespoon balls of dough onto a lined cookie sheet, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cookies are just barely starting to harden and the edges just starting to barely brown. Do not overbake!
- Cool on a rack (if they last that long).
If you make these double peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, please comment or rating here!
Follow uglyducklingbakery on your favorite social media platform.
Looking to learn?
Sign up to get recipes full of kitchen tips and tricks.