Thick Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
We have already established this week that I like peanut butter. I also happen to like cookies. But peanut butter cookies were never my favorite because I dislike the dryness of the typical criss-cross cookies. It turns out that I just hadn’t met the right peanut butter cookie. These thick peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are the one.
This peanut butter chocolate chip cookie is an adaptation of a Smitten Kitchen recipe. Which was an adaptation from a cookbook from the Magnolia Bakery in NY. As an aside, I always thought food bloggers created their own recipes all the times. It turns out that adaptation is a really common thing. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery…
I’ve reduced the sugar quite a bit with no impact on the soft mouthfeel of this cookie. There’s just no need for rolling the cookie in more sugar.
There are some people who swear by chopping your own chocolate for chocolate chip cookies, but I’m too lazy for that (and I hate all the chocolate shards all over the place). I use the Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips for these because they are the same size as the Reese’s PB chips, but you can use any chip you like. Or chop your chocolate if you prefer.
FAQs about these thick peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
Yes. The beauty of drop cookies is that they freeze well, particularly before baking. I bake what we want, and the rest go into the freezer on a cookie sheet for a few hours before transferring into a freezer bag. This way, you always have a melty warm cookie at the ready. Bake at 350F for a minute or two longer than normal.
Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- 1 ¼ cup (180 grams) bleached, all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter I use Jif for all baking with peanut butter
- 4 oz unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (110g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl.1 1/4 cup (180 grams) bleached, all purpose flour, 3/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt
- Using a mixer, cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugars together on medium speed for at least a couple of minutes until light and fluffy.1 cup creamy peanut butter, 4 oz unsalted butter, softened, 1/2 cup (110g) dark brown sugar, packed, 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- Add the egg and mix for one minute on low speed, and then add the milk and vanilla and mix again for one minute.1 egg, room temperature, 1 tbsp whole milk, 1 tsp vanilla
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add the peanut butter chips and chocolate chips and mix by hand.1/2 cup peanut butter chips, 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Using a spoon or a medium cookie scoop (#40), scoop 2 tbsp balls of dough onto a lined cookie sheet, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are just barely starting to harden and the edges just starting to barely brown. Do not overbake!
- Cool on a rack (if they last that long).
If you make these thick peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, please comment and share a pic!
Sign up for the uglyducklingbakery newsletter