We established this week that I like peanut butter. I also happen to like cookies. But peanut butter cookies were never my favorite because I dislike the dryness of the typical criss-cross cookies.
It turns out that I just hadn’t met the right peanut butter cookie. These thick peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are the one.
Adaptations from the Smitten Kitchen peanut butter cookies
This peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe is an adaptation of a Smitten Kitchen peanut butter cookie recipe. And that recipe was an adaptation from a cookbook from the Magnolia Bakery in NY. Imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery…
Reducing the sugar improves the flavor and the soft mouthfeel of this cookie. I decreased the granulated sugar from 3/4 to 1/2 cup and, if you look at the FAQ below, have a more accurate measurement of a 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Finally, there’s no need to roll these peanut butter cookies in more sugar.
FAQs about these thick peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
I use the Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips for these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies because they are the same size as the Reese’s PB chips. But you can use any chip you like, or chop your chocolate if you prefer.
Yes. The beauty of drop cookies is that they freeze well, particularly before baking. I bake what we want, and the rest go into the freezer on a cookie sheet for a few hours before transferring into a freezer bag. This way, you always have a melty warm cookie at the ready. Bake at 350F for a minute or two longer than normal.
Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- 1 ¼ cup (180 grams) bleached, all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter I use Jif for all baking with peanut butter
- 4 oz unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (110g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl.1 1/4 cup (180 grams) bleached, all purpose flour, 3/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt
- Using a mixer, cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugars together on medium speed for at least a couple of minutes until light and fluffy.1 cup creamy peanut butter, 4 oz unsalted butter, softened, 1/2 cup (110g) dark brown sugar, packed, 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- Add the egg and mix for one minute on low speed, and then add the milk and vanilla and mix again for one minute.1 egg, room temperature, 1 tbsp whole milk, 1 tsp vanilla
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add the peanut butter chips and chocolate chips and mix by hand.1/2 cup peanut butter chips, 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Using a spoon or a medium cookie scoop (#40), scoop 2 tbsp balls of dough onto a lined cookie sheet, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are just barely starting to harden and the edges just starting to barely brown. Do not overbake!
- Cool on a rack (if they last that long).
If you make these thick peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, please comment here or share a pic with me on Instagram!