Easy 4 Ingredient Potato Soup Recipe
This easy 4 ingredient potato soup recipe is all you need for weeknight dinners when the weather is chilly. It’s a silky smooth potato soup that tastes tons richer than you’d expect with just four ingredients.
As with many things, you can always make it more complicated, and I’ve added some suggestions below for variations. But this humble 4 ingredient potato soup recipe is a great illustration of how you can use fresh ingredients prepared simply to create something that is so much more.
This 4-ingredient recipe is inspired by the Potage Parmentier (Leek and Potato Soup) from Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking. In fact, her potato soup is the original 4 ingredient potato soup if you exclude her parsley or chive garnish.
Yukon Gold potatoes are the preferred potatoes used in soups because of their flavor and texture. They are particularly good if you are want chunks of potatoes like in this corn and bacon soup. Russet or baking potatoes are starchier and are best used in mashed potatoes, French fries, and latkes.
Leeks have a sweeter and more subtle flavor than yellow onions. If you don’t have leeks, you can sub a sweet onion like a Vidalia or Walla Walla onion in a pinch. The only fussy step in the recipe is with the leeks because they tend to accumulate dirt as they grow.
How to clean leeks
The four panels below show you how to clean leeks. First trim the ends of the leek (Panel #2, below).
Next, make a partial cut running lengthwise from top to bottom of the leek (Panel #3). Spread the layers apart to look for dirt (Panel #4) and run the leek under the faucet to clean. Easy!
Variations and substitutions
This is one time where a recipe with a small number of ingredients truly doesn’t need anything more. But, if you want to, here are a few suggestions:
- Use some other member of the onion family like sweet onions or even garlic.
- Use sweet potato instead of or with the potato.
- Add cauliflower to make a cauliflower, leek, and potato soup. Or add broccoli.
- Use vegetable or chicken broth in place of the water.
- Add herbs and spices like pepper or nutmeg.
- Add cream to finish.
- Add a cup of cheddar or other cheese.
- Add a garnish or two like parsley, chives, green onion, cheese, or crisped bacon.
Recipe tips and tricks
The 4-ingredient potato soup comes together in 45 minutes, most of which is hands off time. Start by melting the butter in a soup pot and cooking the sliced leeks over low heat until they are softened and just beginning to brown (Panels #1 and #2 below).
Add the potatoes and salt and stir for a minute or so (Panel #3). Then, cover the vegetables with water, cover the pot, and let it simmer (Panel #4). Once the potatoes are soft, purée the mixture and then return it to the soup pot to rewarm (Panel #5). Vegetable soups are really quick to make and great for weeknight dinners.
Tip from the wise quacker: If you use a hand-held stick blender to purée soups, please make sure to unplug it before you clean it! You can read more about this and other hazards in the kitchen from a doctor’s perspective.
What to serve with this 4-ingredient potato soup
Serve this soup with:
- A grilled cheese sandwich for lunch.
- A salad like this rainbow salad bowl or orzo pesto salad.
- Bread for dipping like this semolina bread or challah rolls.
- As a side for a simple main course like pan-roasted chicken breasts or apple bourbon pork tenderloin.
Yes. Soups freeze perfectly as long as you haven’t added cream, which can separate in the process of freezing and reheating. Just reheat your frozen soup gently in the microwave or a small pot with a little extra water.
Sure, it’s still a 4 ingredient potato soup if you only purée half the soup. But you’ll want to pay closer attention to how you slice the potatoes and leeks so that they’re all about the same size.
Of course, simply sub out the butter for olive oil and top with your favorite garnishes.
Check out some other soups like this corn soup with potatoes and bacon or vegetarian options like this garbanzo bean soup or this almond and broccoli soup.
Like potatoes and onions? Check out these recipes using one or the other:
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-heart 💜💜💜💜💜 rating in the recipe card below. Let me know how much you loved it, or any problems you had, in the comments section further down.
Easy 4 Ingredient Potato Soup Recipe
- Blender or food processor
- 3 tablespoons (1.5 ounces) butter
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1.5 pounds), peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over low heat.3 tablespoons (1.5 ounces) butter
- Add the sliced leeks and cook until softened and just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- Add the potatoes and salt and stir to mix.3 Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1.5 pounds), peeled and chopped, 1 teaspoon salt
- Cover the vegetables with water, about 4 cups, cover the pot, and simmer for about 30 minutes until you can pierce the potatoes easily with a fork.
- Remove the pot from heat and let cool briefly before puréeing in the blender or food processor. Return the soup to the pot and rewarm gently.
This 4-ingredient potato soup recipe was first posted on December 28, 2021. It was last updated May 11, 2023.
Looking for inspiration?
Sign up to get recipes full of kitchen tips and tricks.