This cranberry chicken salad recipe makes a quick Thanksgiving-inspired lunch. Enjoy it as a sandwich or over lettuce to make it a little lighter.
You can make it to use up leftover chicken and other things you probably already have in your refrigerator and pantry. Of course no one will fault you if you cook chicken specifically to make chicken salad.
These cast iron chicken breasts are my favorite way to cook chicken breasts. The recipe makes perfectly cooked chicken every time.
Tips and tricks for this recipe
Making the cranberry chicken salad
Chicken salad is incredibly easy to make. Chop your chicken into cubes of the size you prefer. Add in some fruit, nuts, and celery. Stir together with mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. And serve.
What to serve with chicken salad
Chicken salad makes a great lunch. You can have it as a chicken salad sandwich or in a pita or as a chicken salad wrap. Or just serve it plain over lettuce to reduce your carbs.
Or go Mediterranean and mix chopped chicken with olives, capers, pine nuts for crunch, and a bit of lemon juice in addition to that mayo, salt, and pepper.
Or make a “Chinese” chicken salad with thinly sliced cabbage and carrots and some slivered almonds.
FAQs about this cranberry chicken salad recipe
I commonly make chicken salad with grapes and apples. There’s no need to peel them. Just chop the fruit into small pieces.
Try chopped almonds, hazelnuts, or pine nuts.
Once the chicken salad has been combined, it shouldn’t be frozen. If you want to save this recipe for later, you can freeze the cooked chicken breast for several months.
Cranberry Chicken Salad
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and cubed see note
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- ¼ cup pecans, walnuts, or other nuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Put the chopped chicken, cranberries, nuts, and celery into a medium bowl.1 chicken breast, cooked and cubed, ¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped, ¼ cup pecans, walnuts, or other nuts, toasted and chopped, 1 celery stalk, chopped fine
- Add the mayonnaise, salt, and pepper and adjust seasonings to taste.1 tablespoon mayonnaise, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to five days
- Check out this cast iron chicken breast recipe to learn how to make perfectly cooked chicken breasts every time.
- This recipe calls for a small amount of mayonnaise just to hold the ingredients together. Feel free to increase the amount if you like a chicken salad full of mayo.
If you make this cranberry chicken salad recipe, please leave a comment or rating.