This cranberry Negroni is a delicious variation on a classic. And the deep red color of this gin and cranberry juice cocktail makes it the perfect winter Negroni for the holidays.
Tips and tricks for this cranberry Negroni
Pure cranberry juice increases the bitterness of what is already a bitter cocktail. To adjust, there is less Campari than in a classic Negroni, and a sugared rim is added to counteract the bitterness in this gin and cranberry cocktail.
How to make a sugar rimmed glass
You can rim a glass with other things. Salt is an obvious alternative. But you can also use cocoa, cinnamon sugar, or spices. My cherry Bakewell cocktail has a rim of ground nuts and sugar. This spicy margarita has a rim of chipotle salt.
Variation: Cranberry Negroni with cranberry-infused gin
Instead of using gin and cranberry juice. you can make this cranberry Negroni by infusing your gin with fresh cranberries.
Slice your cranberries in half, put them into a clean jar, and add gin to cover. Leave the jar in a cool place or the refrigerator for a few days before straining out the cranberries. To make the cranberry Negroni, use the cranberry-infused gin with one ounce of sweet vermouth and one-half to one ounce of Campari. Include or omit the sugared rim, depending on your preferences.
I was this many years old when I found out that the inside of cranberries look like this.
FAQs about this gin and cranberry juice cocktail
The teaching is that cocktails made entirely of alcohols should be stirred with ice and poured into the glass or even built in the glass. This cranberry Negroni is shaken because of the cranberry juice.
Here are some things they say to be aware of.
Yes, a Negroni can be served up or on the rocks, depending on your preference.
This cocktail calls for 100% cranberry juice. You could substitute cranberry cocktail for the 100% cranberry juice. However, cranberry cocktail has sugar added and is therefore much sweeter. At minimum, I would skip the sugared rim if you are substituting cranberry juice cocktail.
According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, a standard drink for distilled spirits is 1.5 ounces.
If you love the bitterness of a Negroni, check out my Negroni spritz, Aperol Negroni, or Aperol sour. Or check out other uglyducklingbakery beverages like the gin espresso martini, a cherry Bakewell cocktail, a perfect brandy manhattan, or the “Lady Bridgerton” – an Earl Grey and lavender Empress gin cocktail.
Cranberry Negroni: A Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail
- Cocktail shaker
- lemon wedge
- superfine or granulated sugar
- 1.5 ounces Tanqueray or other dry gin
- 1.0 ounces sweet vermouth
- 1.0 ounces 100% cranberry juice
- 0.5 ounces Campari
- fresh cranberries for garnish
- Make a sugared rim glass by rubbing the lemon wedge lightly around the outside of a lowball glass. Then turn the glass upside down into a plate of sugar. Tap the glass lightly while it is upside down to knock any loose sugar back onto the plate.lemon wedge, superfine or granulated sugar
- Add ice to the glass.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the gin, sweet vermouth, cranberry juice, and Campari. Shake for about 10 seconds and then strain into the glass.1.5 ounces Tanqueray or other dry gin, 1.0 ounces sweet vermouth, 1.0 ounces 100% cranberry juice, 0.5 ounces Campari
- Garnish with the cranberries.fresh cranberries for garnish
If you make this cranberry Negroni recipe, please leave a comment or rating here.
Join my #52weeksofcocktails challenge on Instagram!