Cranberry Negroni: A Gin and Cranberry Juice Cocktail
This Cranberry Negroni is a delicious Negroni variation. And the deep red color of this gin and cranberry juice cocktail makes it the perfect winter Negroni for the holidays.
The Negroni is a bitter cocktail. And pure cranberry juice increases the bitterness.
To adjust, the Cranberry Negroni uses less Campari than in a classic Negroni. And a sugared rim is added to counteract the bitterness in this gin and cranberry cocktail.
Cranberries are true berries that grow on bushes, primarily in North America and Chile. They’ve been used by indigenous peoples for centuries as food and dyes. Cranberries are related to blueberries and the European fenberry, called that because they are found in fens, or marshland.
Tips and tricks
How to make a gin and cranberry cocktail
Option 1: Cranberry juice vs. cranberry juice cocktail
This recipe uses 100% cranberry juice for cocktails. You could substitute cranberry cocktail for the 100% cranberry juice in your cranberry gin cocktails. However, cranberry cocktail has added sugar and is much sweeter. At minimum, skip the sugared rim if you’re using cranberry juice cocktail.
Option 2: Cranberry-infused gin
Instead of using gin and cranberry juice, you can make a cranberry Negroni by infusing your gin with fresh cranberries. Slice cranberries in half, put them into a clean jar, and add gin to cover. Leave the jar in a cool place or the refrigerator for a few days before straining out the cranberries.
To make the cranberry Negroni, shake together the cranberry-infused gin with one ounce of sweet vermouth and one-half to one ounce of Campari. Include or omit the sugared rim, depending on your preferences for sweeter or more bitter cocktails.
How to rim a glass with sugar:
- Rub a lemon wedge or use a small kitchen paintbrush to create a thin line of moisture around the outside rim of your glass.
- Put sugar on a small plate and rotate the glass into the sugar at a 45 degree angle to get sugar on the outside of the rim only. Try to avoid sugar on the inside rim or it can change how your cocktail tastes.
- Tap off any excess and prepare your cocktail. Cheers!
You can rim a glass with other things. Salt is an obvious alternative. But you can also use cocoa, cinnamon sugar, or spices. My cherry Bakewell cocktail has a rim of ground nuts and sugar. This spicy margarita has a rim of chipotle salt.
Making the Cranberry Negroni
Combine the gin, cranberry juice, sweet vermouth, and Campari with ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake for about 10 to 15 seconds until your shaker is frosty. Strain and serve.
Tip from the wise quacker: shaken or stirred? The teaching is that cocktails made entirely of alcohols should be stirred with ice and poured into the glass or even built in the glass. This Cranberry Negroni is shaken because of the cranberry juice.
Variations and substitutions
- A Negroni can be served up or on the rocks, depending on your preference.
- Use cranberry gin or cranberry juice cocktail.
- Garnish with sugared cranberries
Big batch cranberry Negronis
You can scale this cranberry Negroni recipe for a crowd. “They say” to provide two drinks per hour for the first hour of a cocktail party and then one drink per hour after that.
But remember that this cocktail is the equivalent of two drinks. Do with that information what you will. And please drink responsibly.
|dry gin||1.5 fl oz||3 oz||¾ cup||1 ½ cup||3 cups|
|sweet vermouth||1 fl oz||2 oz||½ cup||1 cup||2 cups|
|100% cranberry juice||1 fl oz||2 oz||½ cup||1 cup||2 cups|
|Campari||0.5 fl oz||1 oz||¼ cup||½ cup||1 cup|
Here are some things they say to be aware of.
According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, a standard drink for distilled spirits is 1.5 ounces.
There doesn’t appear to be a commonly used name for a gin and cranberry juice cocktail like there are for the Cape Codder (vodka and cranberry juice) or Sea Breeze (vodka, cranberry juice, and grapefruit juice).
Note from the doctor: although cranberry juice has been recommended for years, the evidence is inconclusive that cranberry juice can prevent recurrent urinary tract infections. Also, cranberry juice, like grapefruit juice, has the potential to interact with certain medications, so please check with your own doctor if you want to make cranberries a large part of your diet.
Check out other uglyducklingbakery holiday beverages like the Porn Star martini, French 75, or creamy espresso martini with Baileys Irish Cream. If you love the bitterness of this Negroni, check out my Negroni spritz, Aperol Negroni, or Aperol sour. Or you can never go wrong with a classic dry martini.
Want a digestivo to go with your aperitivo? Go with a Frangelico cocktail like this Frangelico sour.
Or do you want more cranberry recipes? There’s nothing like a turkey meatloaf recipe with dried cranberries or a cranberry chicken salad to make you dream of Thanksgiving.
- Cocktail shaker
- lemon wedge
- superfine or granulated sugar
- 1½ ounces Tanqueray or other dry gin
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth
- 1 ounce 100% cranberry juice
- ½ ounces Campari
- fresh cranberries for garnish
- Make a sugared rim glass by rubbing the lemon wedge lightly around the outside of a lowball glass. Then rub the outside of the rim in a plate of sugar. Tap the glass lightly while it is upside down to knock any loose sugar back onto the plate.lemon wedge, superfine or granulated sugar
- Add ice to the glass.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the gin, sweet vermouth, cranberry juice, and Campari. Shake for about 10 seconds and then strain into the glass.1½ ounces Tanqueray or other dry gin, 1 ounce sweet vermouth, 1 ounce 100% cranberry juice, ½ ounces Campari
- Garnish with the cranberries.fresh cranberries for garnish
If you make this cranberry Negroni recipe, please leave a comment or rating here.
Love cocktails and want to explore more? Read all about classic cocktails and bartender basics or join this year’s 52 weeks of cocktails challenge!
Looking for inspiration?
Sign up to get recipes full of kitchen tips and tricks.