How to Make a Cherry Bakewell Cocktail
This cherry bakewell cocktail is made in the spirit of a cherry bakewell tart. If you’re not a Great British Bake-Off fan or from that part of the world, you may not know that bakewell tarts are pastry topped with frangipane and then jam.
This is Mary Berry’s bakewell tart recipe, for example.
So this cherry bakewell tart cocktail is made with: cherry brandy (aka kirsch or kirschwasser), cherry liqueur, and amaretto (an almond-flavored liqueur), with a almond-sugar rim. I designed it to be similar to a sidecar – dangerous for its sweet easy sipping.
Maybe I should make a cherry bakewell tart next? Cherry season is nearly upon us.
FAQs about the cherry bakewell cocktail
I ground almonds in a food processor, but you could also use almond flour, which is itself just finely ground almonds.
No, go ahead and shake to whatever song you like. But there a few things you shouldn’t do.
No. There’s tradition, and then there’s what really matters. Just like with wine glasses, as long as you’re not drinking out of plastic, you’re not likely to be able to taste any difference. The idea that you need different glasses for wine is myth and marketing.
Yes, that’s the way mr. uglyduckling preferred this cocktail. If you do, go ahead and skip the sugared rim.
It’s just a sweet cherry that has been dyed and sweetened further. Feel free to sub any sweet cherry if you prefer.
Cherry bakewell cocktail
- Cocktail shaker
Almond sugar rim
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
Cherry bakewell cocktail
- 1 ounce (30 milliliter) amaretto
- 1 ounce (30 milliliter) Heering cherry liqueur
- ½ ounce (15 milliliter) cherry brandy
- ¾ ounce (22 milliliter) lemon juice
- 1 maraschino cherry, for garnish
- Combine the ground almond and sugar on a small plate. Rub the edge of the lemon around the edge of the glass, and dip the glass upside down into the almond-sugar to sugar the rim of the glass.1 tablespoon ground almonds, 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- Add the Amaretto, cherry liqueur, cherry brandy, and lemon juice to a cocktail shaker full of ice, shake, and strain into your glass.1 ounce (30 milliliter) amaretto, 1 ounce (30 milliliter) Heering cherry liqueur, 1/2 ounce (15 milliliter) cherry brandy, 3/4 ounce (22 milliliter) lemon juice
- Garnish with the maraschino and enjoy!1 maraschino cherry, for garnish
If you make this cherry bakewell cocktail or want to see me create an uglyducklingbakery recipe for cherry bakewell tart, please leave a comment or rating here. Or share a pic with me on instagram (@uglyducklingbakery)!
Join the #52weeksofcocktails challenge on Instagram.
Check out the uglyducklingbakery beverage archives for house favorites like:
Gin espresso martini
Peanut butter manhattan
The “Lady Bridgerton” – an Empress 1908 gin, Earl Grey tea, and lavender cocktail
Or, if you just like the combination of cherry and almond, check out this cherry crisp with almond topping.
Sign me up for the uglyducklingbakery newsletter!