This perfect brandy manhattan recipe is a variation of a classic. Use brandy and both sweet and dry vermouths for a “perfect” brandy cocktail.
There are few rights and wrongs when it comes to what you like in food and drink. You might like a traditional manhattan. You might like it dry, like in this peanut butter whiskey manhattan. Or you might just love this perfect brandy manhattan.
What’s the difference between a regular manhattan, a dry manhattan, and a perfect manhattan?
- The classic manhattan is 2 ounces of rye or bourbon whiskey and 1 ounce of sweet vermouth.
- A “dry” manhattan replaces the sweet vermouth with 1 ounce of dry vermouth.
- A “perfect” manhattan is in between with 1/2 ounce of sweet and 1/2 ounce of dry vermouth.
Because brandy is typically sweeter than whiskey, I decided to make versions of each of these three cocktails to see which I preferred. If you have the chance, I would encourage you to do the same and compare.
From left to right are the dry, the perfect brandy manhattan, and the classic. They are different colors because the sweet vermouth is a red-brown color.
FAQs about this perfect brandy manhattan recipe
In an old fashioned, the whiskey or brandy is sweetened with sugar or a sugar syrup. In the classic manhattan, the sugar is replaced by sweet vermouth.
Whiskey is made from fermented grains. Brandy is a distilled liquor made from grapes or other fruit such as apples (e.g. Calvados) or cherries. Armagnac, grappa, and pisco are all brandies.
Cognac is a brandy made from a selection of specific grape varietals in Charente and Charente-Maritime in France. Like with champagne, a brandy can only be called Cognac if it is made in this specific region.
Brandy classification varies based on how long it has been aged. It’s unfortunately a bit complicated as the classification differs for different kinds of brandies.
The sidecar and the Brandy Alexander are two of the most popular.
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism says that a standard drink for distilled spirits is 1.5 ounces.
Perfect Brandy Manhattan Recipe
- 2 ounces brandy
- ½ ounce dry vermouth
- ½ ounce sweet vermouth
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- maraschino cherry for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the brandy, vermouth, and bitters and stir for 20 to 30 seconds.2 ounces brandy, ½ ounce dry vermouth, ½ ounce sweet vermouth, 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Strain into a coupe or martini glass and garnish with the maraschino cherry.maraschino cherry
- For a classic brandy manhattan, omit the dry vermouth and use one full ounce of sweet vermouth.
If you make this perfect brandy manhattan recipe, please leave a comment and rating here.
Check out other uglyducklingbakery beverages like the peanut butter manhattan, a gin espresso martini, a cherry bakewell cocktail, or the “Lady Bridgerton” – an Earl Grey and lavender Empress gin cocktail.
Join along in the #52weeksofcocktails challenge on Instagram.