Fawaffle are falafel waffles. They are what you get when you put falafel mixture into a waffle iron.
Fawaffle are perfect as “breakfast for dinner.” They’re easy to make and go perfectly with your favorite Mediterranean sides.
I can tell you the moment fawaffle happened. We were at the ball field. Mr. uglyducklingbakery was flying a kite. I had recently discovered the joys of the waffle iron and was contemplating new things to waffle. Mr. uglyducklingbakery walked up to me and said, “You know what you need to waffle next? Falafel. And do you know what you should call it?”
The word really should have been part of the marriage scene in The Princess Bride. You know. Fawaffle is wot bwings us togeder tooday.
This recipe was adapted from this Ottolenghi falafel recipe.
Tips and Tricks
The ingredients for waffling falafel are the same as when you make falafel a more traditional way. Only you can use canned chickpeas if you don’t have the time or want to start from dried.
Waffling your falafel mixture
Every waffle iron is different. You’ll want to cook your fawaffle only until firm. They won’t get crispy like deep-fried falafel balls.
What to serve with falafel waffles
A little over 25 years ago, I took a year off of school to do a round-the-world trip. I was in Israel for what must have been about two months, and I remember the falafel that I probably ate every day when I was in Jerusalem. It was stuffed into a pita along with tahini, coleslaw, and french fries. Yes, french fries inside the pita.
I am a bit healthier than I was in my 20’s, and I often serve these falafel waffles with sides and other accompaniments that evoke the Middle East. I think of falafel and hummus, baba ganoush, roasted beets, olives, and feta cheese. Add some crunch with toasted pine nuts and pomegranate seeds. And maybe that sumac sauce from the Jerusalem cookbook that I rave about.
Speaking of pita, I finally had a successful batch, with 9 of 12 forming perfect pockets! Recipe coming soon…
Falafel is already plural. See, it’s like fish. One fish, two fish. You know how it goes. You use the word “fishes” when you’re talking about different species of fish. And you could theoretically use the word “falafels” when you’re talking about different types of deep fried balls made from chickpeas or fava beans. Are there even different types of falafel? Just don’t do it.
Yes. Like any other waffle, fawaffles freeze perfectly if you have any leftovers. Just reheat them in your toaster.
Make another uglyducklingbakery waffle:
Fawaffle (Falafel Waffles)
- Food processor
- Waffle iron
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup yellow or green onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup parsley
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In the food processor, combine chickpeas, onion, garlic, cilantro, and spices (cumin, salt, cardamom, and pepper) and blitz until the mixture is thickly pureed.1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, ¼ cup yellow or green onion, 2 cloves garlic, ¼ cup cilantro, ¼ cup parsley, 1 tsp cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon cardamom, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder and pulse a few times until combined.2 tablespoon all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the lemon juice and process for a minute or so. If the mixture seems very dry, add the remaining olive oil.¼ cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- By hand, add the egg and the sesame seeds into the mixture and mix until combined.1 egg, beaten, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat your waffle iron, and add the batter per your waffle iron instructions. This recipe made four ½ cup waffles.
If you make this fawaffle recipe, or even if this just brings a smile to your face, please comment here or leave a rating.