This dry peanut butter manhattan recipe is made with peanut butter whiskey, dry vermouth, and a dash of bitters. It’s a unique variation of a classic cocktail that’s bursting with peanut butter flavor.
A peanut butter manhattan may not be the first peanut butter whiskey cocktail you think about making. But it’s one you’ll make again and again.
I was inspired by my peanut butter chocolate ganache drip cake to make a peanut butter cup cocktail using peanut butter whiskey. But no matter how I combined Skrewball peanut butter whiskey and chocolate liqueur, I couldn’t re-create the rich and creamy chocolate and peanut butter combination I love.
About peanut butter whiskey
Skrewball made the first peanut butter whiskey. It supposedly came about after the Skrewball founder, Steven Yeng, created a peanut butter and whiskey cocktail at his bar and restaurant. Since then, other distillers have started making peanut butter whiskeys following the success of Skrewball.
Tips and tricks
Making a manhattan
The classic manhattan recipe is made with two ounces of rye or bourbon whiskey, one ounce of sweet vermouth, and a dash or two of bitters. It’s stirred with ice cubes and then served over ice in a lowball glass or neat in a coupe or other chilled cocktail glass.
Tip from the wise quacker: The general rule of thumb is that cocktails with citrus juices should be shaken. And cocktails with only liquor should be stirred, because shaking makes for a cloudy cocktail.
Set up a manhattan tasting
The main goal of tasting cocktail variations is to figure out which one you like best. Full stop.
The peanut butter manhattan made with the classic manhattan ratio was too sweet for my taste. So next we tried a dry peanut butter manhattan using the same ratio of peanut butter whiskey to dry vermouth. Finally, to be complete we tried a “perfect manhattan” using one half ounce each of dry and sweet vermouth.
If this were Goldilocks, the perfect peanut butter manhattan would have been just right. But it’s the dry manhattan recipe that brings out the brightest, nutty flavor from the peanut butter whiskey.
I encourage you to try this taste test for yourself. Make one classic, one dry, and one perfect, and see which one you prefer.
For this manhattan, I would suggest either a maraschino or Luxardo cherry or a peanut butter cookie. I had wanted to use peanut butter chips, but they disintegrated.
For dessert cocktails and more decadent drinks, you could try a mini Reese’s peanut butter cup. Or rim your glass with a rim of fine chopped peanuts mixed with sugar.
Yes. Both are correct.
We like Dolin Vermouth de Chambery.
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism says that one serving for distilled spirits is 1.5 ounces.
Other peanut butter whiskey drinks
If you’re wondering what to mix with peanut butter whiskey, check out a few other ideas:
- Combine equal parts of peanut butter whiskey and raspberry liqueur like Chambord for a peanut butter and jelly cocktail.
- Make a peanut butter old-fashioned in a rocks glass. Combine two ounces of peanut butter whiskey, one ounce of simple syrup, and a dash or two of Angostura bitters.
- Try a peanut butter whiskey espresso martini with an ounce each of whiskey, espresso, coffee liqueur, and chocolate bitters. Do a dry shake in your cocktail shaker, then shake with ice, strain, and garnish with three espresso beans.
If you loved this peanut butter whiskey cocktail, check out other uglyducklingbakery cocktail recipes like “The Lady Bridgerton,” an Empress 1908 gin cocktail, a gin espresso martini, or a creamy espresso martini with Baileys. Or manhattan lovers should make this brandy manhattan.
Peanut Butter Manhattan
- 1 Cocktail shaker
- 2 ounces Skrewball whiskey or other peanut butter whiskey
- 1 ounce dry vermouth
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Luxardo cherries, maraschino, or peanut butter cookie for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the whiskey, vermouth, and bitters and stir for 20 to 30 seconds.2 ounces Skrewball whiskey or other peanut butter whiskey, 1 ounce dry vermouth, 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Strain into a coupe or martini glass and garnish as desired.Luxardo cherries, maraschino, or peanut butter cookie
- Classic manhattan: Use 2 ounces of peanut butter whiskey, 1 ounce of sweet vermouth, and a dash of bitters.
- Perfect peanut butter manhattan: Use 2 ounces of peanut butter whiskey with half an ounce of dry vermouth and half an ounce of sweet vermouth and a dash of bitters for a perfect peanut butter manhattan.
If you make this peanut butter manhattan, please leave a comment and rating here. Pretty please.
Looking to learn?
Sign up to get recipes full of kitchen tips and tricks.