These mashed purple sweet potatoes make a sweet side dish. If you like banana, this is the recipe for you.
I don’t know when I started adding banana to my mashed sweet potatoes. But it was obvious that was what I needed to do with a couple of the Stokes purple sweet potatoes I picked up at the grocery store. Plus, I needed mashed purple sweet potatoes for another bake this weekend.
And they stayed purple! After a few disappointing adventures in color with somewhat purple latkes and my reddish velvet beet waffles, I am in love with the color of these mashed purple sweet potatoes.
Tips and tricks for this recipe
First, roast the purple sweet potatoes. Poke a few holes in the skin and then wrap them in foil.
One of the best things about this recipe is that the richness of this recipe comes from the potatoes and the banana. So you can make these as vegan mashed sweet potatoes without butter or cream. You won’t miss the butter at all.
FAQs about mashed purple sweet potatoes and banana
A few posts ago, I wrote a few sentences to answer this question about purple sweet potatoes and purple yams (ube). Hint: the only thing they share in common is their color.
Nope. If you don’t mind peel in your mashed potatoes, feel free to keep it in.
Absolutely. Most of the richness in this side dish comes from the sweet potatoes and banana. You could add a vegan butter or any non-dairy milk of your choice to make them creamier. Or you could leave both out.
Of course. White, orange, or purple-fleshed. It all works.
Yes. Sweet potatoes can be frozen either after cooking or after mashing and stored for months. The texture won’t be the same, but they’ll still taste good.
Mashed purple sweet potatoes and banana
- 2 small purple sweet potatoes
- 1 small to medium banana
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter, optional
- 1 tbsp cream or milk (dairy or non-dairy), optional
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes. Use a fork to puncture the skin in several paces, and then wrap them in aluminum foil.2 small purple sweet potatoes
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until the skin is easily pierced with a fork.
- Let the potatoes cool enough so that you can handle them. If you want to peel them, use a knife to cut a thin slit in the skin and peel.
- Combine the peeled sweet potatoes and banana in a small to medium sized bowl and mash them with a potato masher or fork until well-combined. Add salt and butter and/or cream/milk, if you are using them, adding a little bit at a time and adjusting for taste and texture as desired. Serve warm.1 small to medium banana, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp butter, optional, 1 tbsp cream or milk (dairy or non-dairy), optional
If you make mashed purple sweet potatoes, want to ask a question about sweet potatoes, or just want to share your love of purple food, please leave a comment or rating here. Or share a pic with me on Instagram!
Enjoy some other uglyducklingbakery recipes with purple sweet potatoes like baked purple sweet potato loaded with white beans, my purple sweet potato sourdough, or the purple sweet potato pancakes I mentioned before.