Taco Meatloaf Recipe
This taco meatloaf recipe is about to change your life.
I have a bit of a cookbook collection. It may not be as large as my shoe collection, but it’s pretty close. This, if you knew me, would tell you how much of a problem it is.
So for the last few years, I have forced myself to borrow cookbooks from the library and cook from them before I buy. Library browsing means that I get to take home more cookbooks.
On one such occasion I picked up A Meatloaf in Every Oven. I tried a few recipes and mostly came out disappointed. If you know of the perfect Peking Duck Meatloaf, please share.
(6/27/2021: Edit to add. I’ve finally perfected the Peking duck-inspired meatloaf!)
But one of them, the taco meatloaf, has been on regular repeat any time there is a bag of leftover tortilla chips in the house. It’s a great recipe for someone learning to cook.
FAQs about this taco meatloaf recipe
This recipe was minimally adapted to reduce the level of spiciness for our household. I’ve also removed the extra cheese that gets baked on top, because it doesn’t freeze as well for leftovers. Please feel free to crank the heat back up, add some slices of cheese on top towards the end of baking, or glaze the meatloaf with some salsa.
Tortilla chips take the place of breadcrumbs, which acts as a binder in meatloaves.
Serve with a corn salad and side of extra sour cream and salsa. It’s a meal that calls for a cold beer.
Yes, this meatloaf freezes very well. Just slice and wrap and put it in to a freezer bag. Defrost in a pan in the oven.
- 2.5 ounces tortilla chips, crushed
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup salsa mild to hot based on your preference
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Mix all of the ingredients together with a spoon except for the ground beef. Then gently mix in the beef by hand.2.5 ounces tortilla chips, crushed, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated, 1/2 cup salsa, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1 egg, lightly beaten, 1 pound lean ground beef
- Pack the meatloaf mixture into a meatloaf pan or shape it into a loaf in a cast iron skillet.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the internal temperature is 160°F.
If you make this taco meatloaf, please comment here, particularly if it changes your life too, or share a pic with me on Instagram.
Sign up for the uglyducklingbakery newsletter.