This recipe for mini banana bread muffins was created for the reddit 52 weeks of baking challenge (Week 40: West Indies). For those of you who don’t remember your geography, the West Indies refers to a group of islands in the Caribbean including Jamaica, Barbados, and Trinidad and Tobago.
So rather than share my version of a traditional bake, I’ve used ingredients that are commonly found in the West Indies. This recipe takes my one bowl chocolate chip banana bread, omits the chocolate chips, and adds in dark rum and a combination of spices found in cooking from the West Indies.
Tips and tricks for this recipe
Lining the pans with coconut
For this recipe, you will “flour” the mini muffin pan with dried, shredded, unsweetened coconut. You’ll want to put a generous teaspoon in each muffin well. Then, standing over the sink, turn the pan around and around until the coconut covers the well.
It doesn’t have to be perfect!
Making the batter
The images below show the progression of the batter at each step. Beat the butter and brown sugar (Panel #1); the bananas (Panel #2); and the eggs, orange juice, and rum (Panel #3). Follow it up by folding in the dry ingredients (Panel #4).
Baking the banana bread muffins
Try not to fill the muffin cups more than three quarters of the way full. If you don’t have enough mini muffin trays, you can always use the extra to make regular sized muffins or mini banana loaves.
Mini muffin pans come in 12 cup and 24 cup sizes. They’re great for bite-sized baked eggs, mini pies, or party appetizers.
FAQs about these mini banana muffins with coconut
No. But you are more likely to get consistent results if you weigh your ingredients, especially for baking.
If you like, you could use a half cup of nuts (think walnuts or pecans) or raisins, chopped small and added to the batter.
Yes, you can store muffins in the freezer for 3 to 6 months. To freeze, I put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer overnight and then transfer them to a freezer bag. To eat, let them defrost at room temperature in an air-tight container.
Yes. This recipe will make 12 regular-sized muffins or one standard loaf. Bake at the same temperature (350 degrees) for longer. Standard muffins will take 20 to 25 minutes. A loaf will take one hour or more.
Check out other muffin recipes in the uglyducklingbread breakfast and brunch archives like these oatmeal blackberry muffins, orange and poppy seed muffins, spinach and feta muffins, or sourdough discard apple muffins.
Mini Banana Bread Muffins
- 3 mini muffin pans (see note)
- ¾ cup shredded unsweetened coconut for "flouring" the pan
- 1¼ cup (156 grams) bleached, all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (62 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened for greasing the muffin cups
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (96 grams) dark brown sugar
- 3 cups very ripe bananas 3 to 4 medium bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter the mini muffin tins and line each one with a teaspoon of coconut.¾ cup shredded unsweetened coconut, 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Sift together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon1¼ cup (156 grams) bleached, all-purpose flour, ½ cup (62 grams) whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger, ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a medium mixing bowl if using a hand mixer or by hand, cream the butter and sugar together for 3 to 5 minutes until blended well.4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar, ½ cup (96 grams) dark brown sugar
- Add the bananas and beat until mixed.3 cups very ripe bananas
- Add the egg, orange juice, and rum and beat until mixed.1 egg, 1 tablespoon orange juice, 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Add the dry ingredients and fold in or mix on low speed just to distribute.
- Use a small (#60) cookie scoop or two spoons to scoop about 1 tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes on racks in the middle of the oven until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan about 10 minutes and then turn onto a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for one week or freeze once fully cooled.
If you make these baby banana muffins or have any questions, please leave a comment or rating here.
Join the uglyducklingbakery family.
Week 1: New Year new recipe – blueberry galette
Week 2: seasonal – Smitten Kitchen’s grapefruit pound cake
Week 3: Great British Bake Off – Kate’s sticky toffee apple caramel cake
Week 4: Australia – sausage rolls
Week 5: bite sized – cookies
Week 6: Chinese New Year – mushroom bao
Week 7: new tool – baguette baker
Week 8: chocolate – chocolate peanut butter bonbons
Week 9: timed bake – under 1 hour! chocolate chip scones
Week 10: allergy/diet restriction – macarons
Week 11: quick breads – kale and cheese quick bread
Week 12: signature bake – purple cow bread
Week 13: enriched breads (kale and cheese babka fail)
Week 14: childhood favorite –fudgy triple layer chocolate cake with chocolate ganache frosting
Week 15: decorating challenge – purple velvet cake
Week 16: crispy crunchy – bacon cheddar popcorn
Week 17: p52 of a favorite cookbook, or your favorite blog – chocolate peanut butter drip cake
Week 18: pâte à choux – bacon cheese puffs
Week 19: veggies turned sweet – red velvet beet waffles
Week 20: plating – chocolate chip cookie (butter challenge)
Week 21: Birthday Party! – chocolate orange cake
Weed 22: Scandinavian – Swedish apple cake (plus a bonus sourdough discard apple cake)
Week 23: Layers – Pecan apple oat bars (post is pending)
Week 24: Tarts – rainbow fruit tart
Week 25: Bagels and donuts – maple donut cake
Week 26: Surprise inside – surprise heart yeast bread (pending)
Week 27: Local favorite – Rainier cherry crisp
Week 28: Seasonal ingredients – blackberry lemon bread
Week 29: French dessert – peanut butter banana clafoutis (a classic with non-classic flavors!)
Week 30: Savory baking – pizza
Week 31: Unusual ingredient – juniper lime drizzle cake
Week 32: Gelatin (homemade marshmallows) and 33: Picnic – peanut butter Rice Krispie treats
Week 34: Brunch – spinach and feta muffins
Week 35: Laminated dough – puff pastry cinnamon twists
Week 36: Friendship challenge – chocolate chip marshmallow cookie bars
Week 37: Sweet and salty – salted caramel chip chocolate cookies
Week 38: Decoration challenge – royal icing
Week 39: Buns and biscuits – challah buns
Next week: Pantry challenge