Taco meatless meatloaf
It was inevitable that I’d turn one of our favorite meals into a meatless meatloaf. I was vegetarian for over 10 years when younger, and I’ve watched the boom in plant-based meats with interest. So when mr. uglyducklingbakery wanted something to accompany BBQ baked beans and I saw the Beyond Meat package in the grocery store, I decided the time was now for a Beyond Meat meatloaf.
During the month of February, I have been reflecting on and celebrating Black History Month by cooking from Jubilee: Recipes from Two Centuries of African American Cooking by Toni Tipton-Martin. There are still a few more recipes I want to try before the month is over. Shrimp and grits. Her collard greens.
The BBQ beans were delicious. It’s hard to go wrong with a dish full of bacon and a cup of brown sugar. I might have accidentally increased the amount of bacon…
Unfortunately, I can’t say the same thing for the Beyond Meat meatloaf. Taco meatloaf is one of our favorite meals, so it was set up for success. This recipe is essentially the same except that it subs the meatless meat for the ground beef.
At this point, our household will stick with the original and reduce our meat consumption in other ways. I am told that some plant-based meats taste better than others. Please try it with your favorite, and let me know what you think.
And definitely make the beans.
Taco meatless meatloaf
- 2.5 oz (1 cup) crushed tortilla chips
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup salsa mild to hot, depending on preference
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp chili powder or more, depending on preference
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ 5p sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb meatless meat
- 6 slices cheddar cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix all ingredients with a spoon except for the meatless meat. Then gently mix this in with your hands.
- Pack into a meatloaf pan or shape into a loaf in a cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the internal temperature is 160F.
- Top with the cheese slices, if using, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until melted.
If you make this Beyond Meat meatloaf or another meatless meatloaf, please comment and share a pic!
Make another vegetarian recipe from the uglyduckling bakery archives.
Sign up for the uglyducklingbakery newsletter: