Peanut Butter Banana Clafoutis
This peanut butter banana clafoutis is the delicious result of having too many bananas while planning for this week’s reddit 52 week baking challenge. It’s a very Americanized version of a classic French dessert that’s both easy and elegant.
Clafoutis are made by layering fruit (traditionally cherries) into the bottom of a baking dish, covering the fruit with a custard, and baking. They’re served warm, usually dusted with confectioners sugar.
What else would you make with over-ripe bananas except for another loaf of banana bread?
Notes and tips about making clafoutis
For this recipe, you can use any 9″ or 10″ pie pan, cake pan, or even cast iron frying pan. Butter the pan, sprinkle one tablespoon of sugar in the bottom, and then add the fruit in a single layer without overlap.
The batter will be liquid and the fruit may start to float. That’s ok. Try not to jiggle it around too much as you move it to the oven.
FAQs about this peanut butter banana clafoutis
Merriam-Webster seems to think so, but the French disagree.
Clah-foo-tee. The “s” is silent.
Yes, baked custards need to be kept in the refrigerator and will keep for a few days, though they are best warm on the day they are made.
Yes. Just sub in the equivalent amount of flour.
Peanut butter banana clafoutis
- unsalted butter for greasing the pan
- ½ cup (65g/2.3 oz) bleached all purpose flour
- ¼ cup (25g/0.9oz0 peanut butter powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup (67g/2.4oz) granulated sugar plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling the pan bottom
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream, half-and-half, or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 very ripe bananas, sliced into 1/2" rounds
- confectioners sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter the pan and sprinkle it with sugar.
- Add the banana slices until they fill the pan in a single layer.
- Sift the flour, peanut butter powder, and salt into a small bowl.
- Use a mixer (or by hand) to mix the sugar and eggs until they are frothy (a few minutes).
- Add the cream/half-and-half/milk and vanilla and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, PB, salt) and mix by hand until the dry ingredients have been fully incorporated into the batter.
- Pour the batter carefully over the bananas.
- Bake the clafoutis on a rack in the middle of the oven for 40-45 minutes until the top is set (i.e. no longer jiggly!) and a golden brown.
- Let cool slightly. Dust with confectioners sugar just before serving.
If you make this clafoutis or have any questions, please comment and/or share a pic!
Sign me up for the uglyducklingbakery newsletter!
Week 1: New Year new recipe – blueberry galette
Week 2: seasonal – Smitten Kitchen’s grapefruit pound cake
Week 3: Great British Bake Off – Kate’s sticky toffee apple caramel cake
Week 4: Australia – sausage rolls
Week 5: bite sized – cookies
Week 6: Chinese New Year – mushroom bao
Week 7: new tool – baguette baker
Week 8: chocolate – chocolate peanut butter bonbons
Week 9: timed bake – under 1 hour! chocolate chip scones
Week 10: allergy/diet restriction – macarons
Week 11: quick breads – kale and cheese quick bread
Week 12: signature bake – purple cow bread
Week 13: enriched breads (kale and cheese babka fail)
Week 14: childhood favorite –fudgy triple layer chocolate cake with chocolate ganache frosting
Week 15: decorating challenge – purple velvet cake
Week 16: crispy crunchy – bacon cheddar popcorn
Week 17: p52 of a favorite cookbook, or your favorite blog – chocolate peanut butter drip cake
Week 18: pâte à choux – bacon cheese puffs
Week 19: veggies turned sweet – red velvet beet waffles
Week 20: plating – chocolate chip cookie (butter challenge)
Week 21: Birthday Party! – chocolate orange cake
Weed 22: Scandinavian – Swedish apple cake (plus a bonus sourdough discard apple cake)
Week 23: Layers – Pecan apple oat bars (post is pending)
Week 24: Tarts – rainbow fruit tart
Week 25: Bagels and donuts – maple donut cake
Week 26: Surprise inside – surprise heart yeast bread (pending)
Week 27: Local favorite – Rainier cherry crisp
Week 28: Seasonal ingredients – blackberry lemon bread
Next week: savory baking